Growing gourmet and medical mushrooms

Paul Stamets. Growing gourmet and medical mushrooms. - Ten Speed Press, 2000


1. Mushrooms, Civilization and History

2. The Role of Mushrooms in Nature

3.Selecting a Candidate for Cultivation

4. Natural Culture: Creating Mycological Landscapes

5. The Stametsian Model: Permaculture with a Mycological Twist

6. Materials fo rFormulating a Fruiting Substrate

7. Biological Efficiency: An Expression of Yield

8. Home-made vs. Commercial Spawn

9. The Mushroom Life Cycle

10. The Six Vectors of Contamination

11. Mind and Methods for Mushroom Culture

12. Culturing Mushroom Mycelium on Agar Media

13. The Stock Culture Library: A Genetic Bank of Mushroom Strains

14. Evaluating a Mushroom Strain

15. Generating Grain Spawn

16. Creating Sawdust Spawn

17. Growing Gourmet Mushrooms on Enriched Sawdust

18. Cultivating Gourmet Mushrooms on Agricultural Waste Products

19. Cropping Containers

20. Casing: A Topsoil Promoting Mushroom Formation

21. Growth Parameters for Gourmet and Medicinal Mushroom Species

Spawn Run: Colonizing the Substrate

Primordia Formation: The Initiation Strategy

Fruitbody (Mushroom) Development

The Gilled Mushrooms

The Polypore Mushrooms of the Genera Ganoderma, Grifola and Polyporus

The Lion’s Mane of the Genus Hericium

The Wood Ears of the Genus Auricularia

The Morels: Land-Fish Mushrooms of the Genus Morchella

The Morel Life Cycle

22. Maximizing the Substrate’s Potential through Species Sequencing

23. Harvesting, Storing, and Packaging the Crop for Market

24. Mushroom Recipes: Enjoying the Fruits of Your Labors

25. Cultivation problems & Their Solutions: A Troubleshoting guide


I. Description of Environment for a Mushroom Farm

II. Designing and Building A Spawn Laboratory

III. The Growing Room: An Environment for Mushroom Formation & Development

IV. Resource Directory

V. Analyses of Basic Materials Used in Substrate Preparation

VI. Data Conversion Tables






Growth Parameters
Spawn Run:
Incubation Temperature: 75-95° F. (24-35° C.)
Relative Humidity: 80-95% rH
Duration: Day 5-10 days
CU2: > 5000 ppm
FreshAir Exchanges: 1
Light Requirements: No light

Primordia Formation:
Initiation Temperature: 80-90° F. (27-32° C.)
Relative Humidity: 90-100 %
Duration: 4-6 days
CU2: 1000-5000 ppm
Fresh Air Exchanges: 4-5
Light Requirements: 250-500 lux.

Fruitbody Development:
Temperature: 80-90° F. (27-32° C.)
Relative Humidity: 85-95%
Duration: 6-10 days.
C02: 1000-5000 ppm
Fresh Air Exchanges: 4-5
Light Requirements: 500-750 lux.

Cropping Cycle:
7-12 days.

fruitings, although not nearly as well as supplemented, composted rice straw. One study showed that
the best supplement for wheat straw is wheat bran (5%) andlor cotton hulls (10%). (See Li et al.,
1988). The pH optimum for fruiting falls between 7.5 - 8.0.

Recommended Containers for Fruiting: Trays, bags. Outdoor methods use no containers. The substrate is shaped into long rectangular mounds, narrowing at the top. The frames are covered with
loose rice straw, cloth or plastic to retain humidity.
Yield Potentials: On average, V volvacea produces two substantial flushes of mushrooms in quick succession, with the first giving 75% of the total yield and the second producing the remaining 25%.

Harvest Hints: For the best flavor as well as the best form for market, the mushrooms should be
picked before the universal veil breaks, i.e. in the egg form. In the matter of hours, egg-shaped
fruitbodies develop into annulate fruitbodies. Light has a governing influence on the color and overall
quality of the harvestable crop.

PDF compression, OCR, web-optimization with CVISION's PdfCompressor